Pacific Crest Trail 2013

I first hiked the Pacific Crest Trail over the course of 1994 and 1996, then I hiked the whole thing in one go in 2013. During the latter hike I kept this website updated as I progressed up the trail. I still have about 45 hours of video to edit, but in the meantime there is a lot for you to look at here. Over the course of the 168 days I wrote 138,734 words and put 13,644 photos on this website.

April 17th, 2013 - 12:25pm
September 25th, 2013 - 5:05pm
June 25th, 2013
CaliforniaEbbets Pass to South of Wet Meadows Trail
19.64 km today
1709.75 km total
12.2 mi today
1062.39 mi total
20130925 20130922 20130919 20130916 20130911 20130902 20130901 20130830 20130827 20130824 20130821 20130820 20130814 20130814 20130813 20130811 20130808 20130808 20130807 20130805 20130802 20130802 20130802 20130731 20130731 20130729 20130726 20130722 20130721 20130718 20130714 20130711 20130710 20130708 20130707 20130704 20130701 20130626 20130623 20130622 20130619 20130617 20130614 20130613 20130610 20130604 20130602 20130530 20130526 20130523 20130521 20130517 20130516 20130512 20130511 20130509 20130507 20130502 20130428 20130426 20130424 20130422 20130417 Pacific Crest Trail Map

My tent is retaining water.

Well, actually things are staying dry but I just wanted to say that.

I was stuck in the tent until about 4pm the next day. I was getting incredibly restless just sitting there thinking how much this was going to throw off my schedule. I did find out a few days earlier that the Truckee post office is open Saturday, which means I have about an extra 1/2 day of hiking time which is good. I had "Should I Stay or Should I Go" stuck in my head the whole time I was mulling it over whether to leave or not.

Throughout the day I heard a few different "hello"'s. The first was Lightning Rod. He was pushing on and said that he heard the storm was supposed to start breaking up in the evening. This was reassuring to hear.

I broke camp around 4pm just as Sundog, Giggles, and Texas Poo showed up. TP had a long night because his tent leaked and everything got wet. He was bailing off the trail and going to Markleeville to dry out.

The sun poked its head out for about five seconds and we cheered. You start to take sunlight for granted and then one day it is gone. Everything stay

s wet and no batteries can be charged.

I pushed it into the darkness and made camp near the same place I remember camping in 1996. I didn't want to night hike that much since this area is really pretty. I did get to see this one part of the trail where you can see the old PCT switchbacking down into a ravine and then back out. The new trail just curves around and doesn't have much elevation change.

It will be good to get a full day in tomorrow, so anxious to get walking!

June 25th, 2013