Pacific Crest Trail 2013

I first hiked the Pacific Crest Trail over the course of 1994 and 1996, then I hiked the whole thing in one go in 2013. During the latter hike I kept this website updated as I progressed up the trail. I still have about 45 hours of video to edit, but in the meantime there is a lot for you to look at here. Over the course of the 168 days I wrote 138,734 words and put 13,644 photos on this website.

April 17th, 2013 - 12:25pm
September 25th, 2013 - 5:05pm
June 24th, 2013
CaliforniaSouth of Boulder Lake Trail to Ebbets Pass
34.68 km today
1690.11 km total
21.55 mi today
1050.19 mi total
20130925 20130922 20130919 20130916 20130911 20130902 20130901 20130830 20130827 20130824 20130821 20130820 20130814 20130814 20130813 20130811 20130808 20130808 20130807 20130805 20130802 20130802 20130802 20130731 20130731 20130729 20130726 20130722 20130721 20130718 20130714 20130711 20130710 20130708 20130707 20130704 20130701 20130626 20130623 20130622 20130619 20130617 20130614 20130613 20130610 20130604 20130602 20130530 20130526 20130523 20130521 20130517 20130516 20130512 20130511 20130509 20130507 20130502 20130428 20130426 20130424 20130422 20130417 Pacific Crest Trail Map

Woke up about 3am feeling really sick. I thought I could hold things down but eventually knew it was not going to happen. I unzipped my tent, leaned out, and puked all over the ground. I think the huge amounts of a new and exciting foods was making me sick.

Woke up again about 6:30am and the mosquitoes were waiting for me. Soon they disappeared and the raindrops took their place. I put my rain jacket on and kept walking.

I met a Scottish guy whom I hadn't met before. We walked together for much of the day through the rain. It started to get really rainy and windy

. I was starting to get really cold and uncomfortable. I stopped at one point and had hot cocoa in about two minutes. That is something I could not do with my alcohol stove.

We went over a ridge and saw someone's tent perched in some trees. Ugh, that looked like a horrible spot to be camped. Just further down the trail were some trees, but I guess you gotta do what you gotta do.

The Scottish guy was into computers so we talked about programming languages and stuff, it kept my mind off the fact that I was freezing.

Finally we rolled into Ebbetts pass about 3pm. I think today was the fastest I had walked so far...had about 22 miles in by 3pm.

At Ebbet's Pass was a guy named Waldo filling up coolers to leave hikers. He asked if I wanted a beer and for once I said "no", since I was freezing. He took all my trash though which lightened my load a bit.

I knew I was too cold and wet to continue on so I made camp. My tent and sleeping bag which was good. I didn't want to continue on since I didn't know how long the rain storm was going to last. If I had to bail off the trail, I wanted to be near a road so I could hitchhike to the nearest town and wait it out. The Scottish guy was going to continue on though so we bid each other well on our respective endeavors.

I spent the rest of the night in the tent as the rain poured down. I'm actually writing this entry a few days later because my phone and backup battery were all dead and I couldn't charge them up. I did however finish the New Yorker so I had something to stay busy with at least.

June 24th, 2013