Pacific Crest Trail 2013

I first hiked the Pacific Crest Trail over the course of 1994 and 1996, then I hiked the whole thing in one go in 2013. During the latter hike I kept this website updated as I progressed up the trail. I still have about 45 hours of video to edit, but in the meantime there is a lot for you to look at here. Over the course of the 168 days I wrote 138,734 words and put 13,644 photos on this website.

April 17th, 2013 - 12:25pm
September 25th, 2013 - 5:05pm
June 22nd, 2013
CaliforniaRancheria Creek to Creek in Kennedy Canyon
42.66 km today
1620.94 km total
26.51 mi today
1007.21 mi total
20130925 20130922 20130919 20130916 20130911 20130902 20130901 20130830 20130827 20130824 20130821 20130820 20130814 20130814 20130813 20130811 20130808 20130808 20130807 20130805 20130802 20130802 20130802 20130731 20130731 20130729 20130726 20130722 20130721 20130718 20130714 20130711 20130710 20130708 20130707 20130704 20130701 20130626 20130623 20130622 20130619 20130617 20130614 20130613 20130610 20130604 20130602 20130530 20130526 20130523 20130521 20130517 20130516 20130512 20130511 20130509 20130507 20130502 20130428 20130426 20130424 20130422 20130417 Pacific Crest Trail Map

I think the scenery today was probably pretty good but I couldn't enjoy it.


I should have taken it as a sign how the day was going to go when I saw them piled on top of my tent. I hadn't even been outside yet and they were waiting for me pre-6am.

I made coffee and mashed potatoes for breakfast. It was a good thing I did this because this was the only proper meal I got all day.

I passed one lake and it looked like a swarm of dragonflies were munching on the mosquitoes. I hope so.

The trail had a couple of creek crossings that required wading, there were no logs or rocks to use. I thought I was going to die from mosquito poisoning while I stopped to take off my shoes. Once on the other side I couldn't even get them back on. I resorted to walking barefoot down the trail until I found a spot where there might be less. It didn't help much.

The trail did a lot of climbing and dropping today over the 26.5 miles. I ran into three southbound hikers doing a section of the PCT from Sonora Pass to Tuolumne Meadows.

Around the 10 mile mark I heard someone say "OTC!", it was Texas Poo. He had just gotten back from a three mile detour the wrong way. Somehow he had missed the PCT and ended up going down to Tilden Lake, which was a mosquito infested swamp.

It was such a shame about all the bugs, it would have been nice hiking otherwise.

Going through Grace Meadow was just as bad as it was in 1996, although I was in less of a full sprint this time. Bugs in ears, bugs in hair, bugs everywhere. The DEET didn't even help much after a while. It would work good initially, but then wear off or something about an hour later.

Around 2:00pm I pulled over, laid down my ground sheet, then draped my tent over me. I took a 20 minute nap...didn't get enough sleep last night. I know it was 20 minutes because I was listening to Marc Maron podcast and later I found the spot where I didn't remember anything and it was around that long.

At Dorothy Lake Pass I saw Texas Poo at the top. It was the northern boundary for Yosemite NP. It is also the mark for where you no longer have to carry a bearcan. We didn't see any tossed aside since they cost around $65. Had they been $5 I would have expected to see them everywhere.

On the other side of the pass we heard a couple helicopters. They flew near us really close and then went the other direction. TP said he felt like we were in Red Dawn.

I watched my iphone app as the miles tick-tick-ticked from 999.99 to 1000. TP and I took a few pictures. I had one more celebration, I retired my red shoes that I had walked the last 1000 miles in. Now I'm in green shoes. I hope my feet get used to them. Nu Shooz!

Texas Poo stopped after about 5 miles and I went another couple and made camp. I thought about going to the ridgetop and camping, but it was another 1500 feet and the mosquitoes were exhausting me. I mostly just wanted to send Mike (Gabe and Lela's Dad) an email telling him when I would be at the pass. I hope we can meet up tomorrow. I thought cell service would have been better at TM and I could have gotten everything taken care of. Oh well.

Really tired right now, gotta get up early so I can hammer out the 11 miles to Sonora Pass by 10:30am or so.

June 22nd, 2013