Pacific Crest Trail 2013

I first hiked the Pacific Crest Trail over the course of 1994 and 1996, then I hiked the whole thing in one go in 2013. During the latter hike I kept this website updated as I progressed up the trail. I still have about 45 hours of video to edit, but in the meantime there is a lot for you to look at here. Over the course of the 168 days I wrote 138,734 words and put 13,644 photos on this website.

April 17th, 2013 - 12:25pm
September 25th, 2013 - 5:05pm
April 21st, 2013
CaliforniaIn giant field of boulders to Stagecoach RV park
33.88 km today
123.92 km total
21.05 mi today
77.0 mi total
20130925 20130922 20130919 20130916 20130911 20130902 20130901 20130830 20130827 20130824 20130821 20130820 20130814 20130814 20130813 20130811 20130808 20130808 20130807 20130805 20130802 20130802 20130802 20130731 20130731 20130729 20130726 20130722 20130721 20130718 20130714 20130711 20130710 20130708 20130707 20130704 20130701 20130626 20130623 20130622 20130619 20130617 20130614 20130613 20130610 20130604 20130602 20130530 20130526 20130523 20130521 20130517 20130516 20130512 20130511 20130509 20130507 20130502 20130428 20130426 20130424 20130422 20130417 Pacific Crest Trail Map

I woke up this morning and promptly took two Advil for my foot pain/swelling. Speaking of swell, this obviously meant that it would be a swell day to walk over 21 miles too.

Stopped a few miles down the line where the turnoff to a spring was. I didn't need water but Mario and Erin were there so I made breakfast and chatted with them. They asked what I thought of Portlandia and I mentioned the Wild Flag video I was in.

Saw a lot of people on day hikes since this was the weekend. The trail dropped a great deal of elevation over the course of several hours. Ran into a girl dressed like a FS ranger but it turns out she was Heather from the PCTA. She was out doing research about what parts of the trail needed maintenance work. I asked her about Pete Fish and she smiled. "He's 83 now and still comes out and works on trail crews"

Pete Fish is a guy who I met in 1994 during my PCT hike across Washington. We later met up after Steven's Pass and walked into Canada together. It was the final section of trail he had to do. The next morning we had breakfast at the Manning Park lodge. When the waitress came by after we were done and asked if we'd like anything else, Pete replied: "another"

"Some more coffee?", asked the waitress.

"No...another omelette", said Pete.

I continued up the trail and went to blow snot out if my nose and a bunch of blood came out instead. I cleaned that up and a while later a couple backpackers heading south came by. The guy looked at the dried blood and said "ah, you too...the high desert air is so dry here!"

I took another Advil and continued down the trail towards the Rodriguez water tank. The trail passed some people who were apparently target shooting but seemed to be having a better time seeing who could use up their ammo the fastest. I could hear the bullets bouncing off rocks in every direction so I dropped the hammer and got past them.

At the tank were a few hikers who had made up makeshift shelters from their ground cloths, I did the same. It was about 85 out and pretty hot. I tried out the dehydrated peanut butter in a bag. It wasn't too bad but quite a damn mess. Next time I am using a more firm container.

I had a little bit of cell service so I looked up what to do about my foot. Rest and ice. I had ice and resting on the trail is kind of hard since I have the urge to just keep moving. I still have mixed feelings about getting on the Internet from the trail since it seems just, weird. Since I spend so much time on the Internet at home, it feels a bit like I never left. This will be less of an issue soon when cell service is apparently more spotty.

I took a clock photo of Mario and Erin before they headed out. They were going to hike the last seven miles to the highway and then hitchhike into the town of Julian for beer and food.

Marshall and I decided to hike to the highway together and then hitch to the more "Joe Lunchpail" RV park four miles to the east. A few miles in we met a couple of hikers, Joe and Nancy.

The trail parallels the highway for a good half mile, with a barbed wire fence separating the two. Joe and Nancy shuffled under the fence to get to the highway faster. I wanted to just stay on the trail until the crossing, so Marshall came along with me.

During the half mile walk alongside the road we didn't see any cars. Right as we got to the gate I saw headlights in the distance. So I made a run for it and got to the highway just as the car was approaching us and stuck my thumb out. The percent chance that someone would want to pick up two guys with backpacks, in the dark, hovers around .0928%. Guess what? That car flew right on by.

I got my stuff out to make a sign and we said that if the next car didn't pick us up we would camp and hitchhike in the morning.

As I was getting ready to make a sign a car appeared and I stuck out my thumb. The car drove by and brake lights came on, followed by an extended session in reverse gear.

The couple was coming back from an earth day celebration in San Diego. Soon we passed Joe and Nancy who were needing a ride too. The driver asked if we knew them and we said yeah. The guy said "alright! Let's go get 'em!" Soon after there were four of us plus one pack shoved into the back seat. Fleetwood Mac was playing on the CD player so it was a nice ride in.

We were dropped off and we soon had our tents up and had something called "showers".

Later on Joe and Nancy asked my name and I said Craig. Joe said "Craig? Are you Craig Craig?" I said "of planner fame, yes. "we found you! We saw your note in the planner that you were gonna be on the trail and we were hoping to meet you!"

I was asleep soon after.

April 21st, 2013