Pacific Crest Trail 2013

I first hiked the Pacific Crest Trail over the course of 1994 and 1996, then I hiked the whole thing in one go in 2013. During the latter hike I kept this website updated as I progressed up the trail. I still have about 45 hours of video to edit, but in the meantime there is a lot for you to look at here. Over the course of the 168 days I wrote 138,734 words and put 13,644 photos on this website.

April 17th, 2013 - 12:25pm
September 25th, 2013 - 5:05pm
August 25th, 2013
WashingtonTrout Lake City Park to North of the Lewis River
20.8 km today
3621.71 km total
12.92 mi today
2250.43 mi total
20130925 20130922 20130919 20130916 20130911 20130902 20130901 20130830 20130827 20130824 20130821 20130820 20130814 20130814 20130813 20130811 20130808 20130808 20130807 20130805 20130802 20130802 20130802 20130731 20130731 20130729 20130726 20130722 20130721 20130718 20130714 20130711 20130710 20130708 20130707 20130704 20130701 20130626 20130623 20130622 20130619 20130617 20130614 20130613 20130610 20130604 20130602 20130530 20130526 20130523 20130521 20130517 20130516 20130512 20130511 20130509 20130507 20130502 20130428 20130426 20130424 20130422 20130417 Pacific Crest Trail Map

Still don't understand how I can drink a few beers at night, then wake up at day light and start packing. Maybe I sleep sounder in the night?

P & SP were up a little bit after me. I had put her phone back onto the picnic table and took away my note. After I wrote last night's entry a chunk o' the drunk folks came back from the bar. "Let's steal their wood over there and we can have a fire!" I went to swap my iPod for my USB battery that was charging on the camp host's RV. I took my iPod and Sideproject's now-charged phone, as to be safe from the wandering drunk folks.

Anyways, this morning we got packed up and walked to town. (a whopping .25 miles). I got a huckleberry pancake AND a breakfast burrito. Spent breakfast pushing photos up to this site. Later we walked up to the store where they had Wi-Fi. I found it faster to push up photos over the 4G rather than the Wi-Fi. After charging stuff up I started calling the phone numbers in the PCT register about a possible ride back up to the trail. Nobody was home except for one woman who had family over so that was a no-go. The most recent Best Show on WFMU finished downloading so I had another thing off my todo list.

We walked over to the gas station and tried to hitch a ride. I got the last of the photos uploaded to the blog so I could officially get that to-do list item crossed off my Trout Lake list.

About 30 minutes later a truck came by, backed up, and the woman hopped out and said "jump on in!" We got a ride in the back of the truck up to the trailhead. The lady had mentioned her mom ran the general store in town. Yup, Greg's daughter Laura gave me a ride back up to the PCT, a tad over 19 years to the day that he did. It was his truck also, although not the same one I was in though. We thanked them and they drove off.

I had to take a few 1994 photos so I said goodbye to P & SP. The rocks looked a bit different and I spent some time wandering around trying to find a campsite that I thought we stayed in. Turns out the photo of the campsite I have is about 1.5 miles up the PCT. All these years I thought the photo was taken at a campsite right next to the road.

It took a little bit to get motivated, it always does after a town stop. The rain came in and I had to hide out in a patch of trees that was not burnt up in a forest fire that happened last year.

The weather stayed cloudy so I couldn't really see Mt. Adams at all The forecast is for more rain tonight so I wanted to be sure and camp earlier.

Passed a creek and someone was camped there. Walked a bit farther down the trail and then cut off the trail over to a spot in the trees that looked like it might work to camp at. Just as I was thinking this was where home would be tonight, I saw a white patch about 15 feet away. I thought it was some sort of salt licks or something (how they would stay together in the rain I don't know). I walked over to it and it was a pile of toilet paper, maxi pads, and possibly diapers. This is the kind of stuff you might see in a car-accessible area, but never out in the woods like this. I turned around and went back down the trail.

Crossed the Lewis River and then started looking around for a sheltered spot. Found one a bit off the trail that would work. The angle was a little more than I'm used to (and "unacceptable" for most folks) .

Went and got water, saw a few random trails that probably led nowhere, to campsites full of people, to empty campsites completely sheltered from the rain and a day-old cooler full of food and beer.

It is kind of nice making camp around 6pm, very not used to that. This is probably the earliest I have typed an entry in a long time (8:11pm currently)

Still don't know what the plan is for next week. The only thing different is that I do have a beer I'm packing to the top of Old Snowy Mountain in the Goat Rocks.

August 25th, 2013