Pacific Crest Trail 2013

I first hiked the Pacific Crest Trail over the course of 1994 and 1996, then I hiked the whole thing in one go in 2013. During the latter hike I kept this website updated as I progressed up the trail. I still have about 45 hours of video to edit, but in the meantime there is a lot for you to look at here. Over the course of the 168 days I wrote 138,734 words and put 13,644 photos on this website.

April 17th, 2013 - 12:25pm
September 25th, 2013 - 5:05pm
August 18th, 2013
OregonCascade Locks Marine Park CG
0 km today
3468.13 km total
0 mi today
2155.00 mi total
20130925 20130922 20130919 20130916 20130911 20130902 20130901 20130830 20130827 20130824 20130821 20130820 20130814 20130814 20130813 20130811 20130808 20130808 20130807 20130805 20130802 20130802 20130802 20130731 20130731 20130729 20130726 20130722 20130721 20130718 20130714 20130711 20130710 20130708 20130707 20130704 20130701 20130626 20130623 20130622 20130619 20130617 20130614 20130613 20130610 20130604 20130602 20130530 20130526 20130523 20130521 20130517 20130516 20130512 20130511 20130509 20130507 20130502 20130428 20130426 20130424 20130422 20130417 Pacific Crest Trail Map

I had my tracksuit on this morning. At one point I unzipped it halfway, then walked around asking my friends: "Hey, I'm going down to 7-11 to get some smokes, you need anything?"

Cora and I got the tracksuits for our wedding party we had four years (!) ago at my parent's house in Yakima, WA. It was fun to wear the whole getup.

People left after breakfast. It was hard to say goodbye to Cora with me being so close to home. At least there is only about another month of hiking. She was going away for work for a couple of days and had a lot to do this past week with meeting me at highway 26 and this weekend. I can't thank her enough!

A couple other PCT hikers were in the area, it was Birdman. I hadn't seen him since I think the Onion Valley Trailhead (where I went into Independence) way back in June. He was doing good. He too was saying goodbye to his wife that morning.

I sat by myself at the picnic table decompressing. People had left a lot of food so I was chowing on that.

My friend Joh was coming out today but not for a few hours. Chris, Yonna, and Jen were coming out also.

I decided to check out Shrek's house in town. He is a guy who takes in hikers. Got there and there were a few people there. I didn't recognize any of them.

There was a treehouse platform up in the trees so I spent some time up in there working on the blog. I looked up at one point and there was Chief standing out by the road! It only took me 1600 miles to catch up to him.

I climbed down and went and said hello to him. It was good to see him. He was pretty rail thin. He told me he ate a ton of food at the breakfast and lunch buffets at Timberline lodge.

My friends from Portland all showed up. Jen and her boyfriend Joe had brought me homemade cookies. Chris and Yonna brought my laptop and a few other things. Joh brought a cooler full of beer. (Thanks everyone!).

We left Shrek's place and went down the street to the alehouse for dinner. Chief came along too. We had a nice dinner and it was good to get caught up with Chief on what he was up to.

Chief said he was up around Mt. Jefferson when the storm hit last weekend. Said it was one of the most unnerving things in his life. Lighting appearing everywhere nearby, loud thunder, huge amounts of rain, etc.

It turns out we had some miscommunication as to when I was gonna be in Sierra City, so I missed the birthday party that he had set up there...he said they still had a great time regardless. He also said he had a good time talking to my friend Chris at Shelter Cove (and the beer perty that I missed there too).

Chief told me about staying at the Anderson's house and how he had a good time there. He had heard some crazy things about that place so when he saw Terry's van looking for hikers, he had hid the first time. He was really glad he went there though.

Chris and Yonna bought me dinner (thanks!). We all went down to the river to let the dogs run around. Somehow JJ Cale came up and Joh mentioned how he had died last month. I gotta load up my iPod with his music when I have my laptop going. I have always liked his songs.

Everyone except for Joh left. We went down to the marina and camped in spot #13. I have a lot of blogging to catch up on so it looks like I'm going to be in Cascade Locks for a good chunk of tomorrow too.

August 18th, 2013