Pacific Crest Trail 2013

I first hiked the Pacific Crest Trail over the course of 1994 and 1996, then I hiked the whole thing in one go in 2013. During the latter hike I kept this website updated as I progressed up the trail. I still have about 45 hours of video to edit, but in the meantime there is a lot for you to look at here. Over the course of the 168 days I wrote 138,734 words and put 13,644 photos on this website.

April 17th, 2013 - 12:25pm
September 25th, 2013 - 5:05pm
April 27th, 2013
CaliforniaIn a dry creekbed near Tule Spring to 2.5 mi N of Highway 74
31.55 km today
248.55 km total
19.6 mi today
154.44 mi total
20130925 20130922 20130919 20130916 20130911 20130902 20130901 20130830 20130827 20130824 20130821 20130820 20130814 20130814 20130813 20130811 20130808 20130808 20130807 20130805 20130802 20130802 20130802 20130731 20130731 20130729 20130726 20130722 20130721 20130718 20130714 20130711 20130710 20130708 20130707 20130704 20130701 20130626 20130623 20130622 20130619 20130617 20130614 20130613 20130610 20130604 20130602 20130530 20130526 20130523 20130521 20130517 20130516 20130512 20130511 20130509 20130507 20130502 20130428 20130426 20130424 20130422 20130417 Pacific Crest Trail Map

Another long day but this one was the most brutal of all so far, even surpassing the "ow ow ow my foot hurts" days. The weather was over 90 and most of the 20 miles was uphill.

I was on the trail around 6:20am. Stopped at Tule spring/tank to get water and make breakfast. I had a picture here from 1996 and although the tank looks mostly the same, the surrounding area is much different. The most noticeable thing is that the tree behind the tank is completely burned now.

Marshall came down to where I was and got some water. He was going to try and make it to the paradise cafe for dinner. They closed at 8 so it looked like he would have time. I was planning on skipping it because it was a mile off the trail and I didn't want to get hung up there.

After having a dinner for breakfast (it helps to juggle them around since you might only have access to water once per day) I continued on. Ran into Joe and Nancy at Nance canyon of all places. I talked a bit and said I would see them down the trail...then casually walked back the direction I had come. After about 20 steps I realized that they were actually on the PCT and not a side trail. d'oh.

It started getting a lot hotter and my pace started slowing down a lot. I had, and was drinking, plenty of water; but none of it improved my pace at all. Eventually I reached a big cache of water that someone had left the previous day. Joe and Ramblin' were here under a tarp. Marshall was there too. Ramblin' was impressed with all my vacuumed sealed goods.

I realized it is much easier to put the dehydrated peanut butter in and on things rather than to tray and mix it up (eg make a total mess) and use it like normal peanut butter. Rails on Ritz I called it... everyone enjoyed it.

Marshall took off before I did. I had to get some photos of an incredibly shot up California road sign.

Joe and Ramblin were going to stay under the tarp until it got cooler. I couldn't stay under there any longer and just decided to keep moving.

It was a very hour and tiring 8.5 miles to the highway. The trail climbed and climbed and it had to have been over 90. By the time we got to the highway the thought of a burger and beer sounded really good. As much would have it there was a car waiting there for another hiker named Lucky. I had met Lucky once before. He is an older guy that walks almost 30 miles a day. The guy with the car was Lucky's brother Larry. Since Lucky was sti about. 30 min away, Larry gave us a ride to the Paradise Cafe which was about a mild away.

The burger and beer was great. Walked back and went down the trail. Stuff about Marshall's line, seeing other people there. Not camping at cafe.

April 27th, 2013